DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to distribute large table accross different disks???

I have an instance that was built for Cognos reports. There are several big tables (1~3G), unfortunately, located on one disk, making the disk hot. My goal is to break these tables up such that they spread across three disks.

Anybody can tell me how to achieve that?

Thanks

Qingbo

create a tablespace made of 3 files each on different disks...then create your table (oracle will partition it in in different files)

That would divide up the file I/O based upon which table lies in which dbf, but the I/O of all the dbf contributes to a high ts I/O in the case that multiple transactions are being carried out on the ts.
    -
    On the other hand you can find out the type of activity on these tables like inserts, deletes, read or write intensive, etc., and create 3 ts with preferably one dbf per ts (one ts per disk), with each ts containing the tables which undergo a specific type of activity. I think this would be a better approach. Does anyone agree?

you could use raid 1 or partition the table placing a different section on each disk

Follow the suggestion given by ACANID and partition these tables by HASH and it should solve your problem.

Ac

You should go for partition tables.Where in the tablespaces are spread accross the disks.

First think about range partition whether it will improve your application performance.then you can proceed with the hash partitions...
    Radhakrishnan.M