DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Incomplete Recovery

I am performing a DB copy to another node (Unix, 8.1.6). In the process of starting the DB, I issued a Recover command and the following errors occur.
    ORA-01547 warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below
    ORA-01194 file string needs more recovery to be consistent
    ORA-01110 data file 1: '/u03/oradata/prod/system01.dbf'

If I open DB with resetlogs, what will happen to the DB. There are about 47 files that the system says need recovery. Thanks guys.

Oisaya

Basically, this error is telling you that one of your data files is more recent the the information in the control file.

If you are copying these datafiles while the database is up, the sequeuce of things is important.
    1. Copy all the data files
    2. Force a log switch n times where n= the number of redo logs you have.
    3. copy all redo logs
    4. copy all archived redo logs
    5. copy 1 control file
    6. copy the control file from step 5 to the other locations where it should reside.

This way, the control file will be the latest and greatest. You will have to recover the database, but all datafiles are older than your control file.
    Jeff Hunter

Hi,

It appears that you have issued the "RECOVER DATABASE" command instead of "RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL".

If you issue "RECOVER DATABASE" oracle interprets that and complete recovery and will give you the error you mentioned as it expects more log files. If you issue "RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL" then oracle interprets that as incomplete recovery and will allow you to open the database when you stop the recovery using CANCEL command.

Issue the imcomplete recovery command and stop it by issueing CANCEL. That should allow you to open the database with resetlogs.

Baliga