DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Non-archive mode to archive mode

Cool Non-archive mode to archive mode

Morning, I was able to get the same admin account that loaded the database on the server. Once log in, I restarted the services, logged in to OEM and started the process again(changing from Non-archive to archive mode). At this point I make the change in OEM to Archive Log Mode to turn on the Archive utility so the rollback segment utility can work proprely. Again, once the database in shutdown and the startup process begins The TNS is not recogized unless the service are turned off and then on again. This just get me back to were I started from. A database in Non-archive mode. Please advise.

I'm not sure about what you wrote, but in order to put a database in archivelog mode you need to specify the right parameters in your init file, and shutdown the database and then startup in mount mode and enter the following command, "ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG;" Then open the database. I inlcuded a link on putting a database in archivelog mode. Tahiti.oracle.com is always a good place to look for Oracle information.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...redo.htm#14904

...also don't forget to revise your backup/recovery strategy. Chances are your initial strategy was relying on cold backup; I suppose your business requirements are now asking for point-in-time recovery... otherwise please let me know why you are moving from noarchivelog to archivelog.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.