DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BACKUP

HI, i have 2 clients that have no trace of begin backup and end backup in there oracle alert file.

The software that saves all files from the server to there tape backup takes backup of open files.

If my hard drives explodes, can i recover my database with all oracle files on the tape backup with no datafile taking in backup mode?

So my question is this: IN THE FILE "Orclalrt.log", IF THERES NO TRACE OF BEGIN AND END BACKUP, DOES THIS MEANS THAT THERES NO VALID BACKUP?

If there is no trace of begin backup and end backup, your tablespace was not placed in backup mode. The only hope you have in recovering is that you are in archive log mode and that the open files were taped when there was a period of low or no activity.
    Jeff Hunter

indeed, i have the archive logs, but that means that the recovery time will be longer because of the tablespace that are not synchronise.

The database will definitely go through its recovery steps after you restore. You might get lucky enough to be able to open the database if no datafiles were corrupted. If this is the case, the recovery mechanism of the database would take care of synchronizing the tablespaces to a consitent point in time. BTW, the database would have to go through these steps ANYWAY if you were doing a restore from a hot-backup. The difference is that with a hot backup (BEGIN BACKUP/END BACKUP) you know that the datafiles are in a consitent state.
    Jeff Hunter

Hi,

Check the backup utility settings. normally they have a setting for hot or cold backup. for hot backup they must put the tablespace in backup mode.

Baliga

Atleast from now change your steps to take correct Hotbackup by issuing Begin Backup and EndBackup, instead of thing about the already existing one and after knowing that it is not the way you need to take the backup
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar