DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Procedure to update table

Procedure to update table

Hi,

I created a procedure which would copy all of the information from table_a to table_b for a new user. This procedure should also copy the information from table_a to table_b after a new user has been created. However I don't know why it does not seem to do so. Below is the procedure. I'll appreciate any input.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE newuser (
    a_username VARCHAR2
    )
    IS
    BEGIN
    UPDATE table_a
    SET last_login=TO_DATE('1/1/2006','MM/DD/YYYY')
    WHERE username=a_username;
    COMMIT;

UPDATE table_b
    SET last_login=TO_DATE('1/1/2006','MM/DD/YYYY')
    WHERE username=a_username;
    commit;
    END;
    /

Thanks,

Lucky

so what happens?

Update table

Information from Table_a is not updated to Table_b. I need the information from table_a to update table_b. How could I modify the procedure to do just that?

Thanks,

Lucky

you still havent said what happens apart from 'it doesnt work' show the data before, you executing the query and the data after

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky A
    I created a procedure which would copy all of the information from table_a to table_b for a new user. This procedure should also copy the information from table_a to table_b after a new user has been created. However I don't know why it does not seem to do so.
    Your UPDATE statements are naming just the target table either table_a or table_b... how do you expect data to be moved from one table to the other if you are not selecting from the other table at any time?

Remember the old saying... "Oracle" is just a commecial name, you have to tell what you want
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Procedure to Update table

"you still havent said what happens apart from 'it doesnt work' show the data before, you executing the query and the data after"

What happens is that the new user login failed. New users cannot login to the system. They receive a login failure from the system on changing their password. To get around this, I created the stored procedure and hard coded the last login field.

Regards,

Lucky

again, no errors, no example, no nothing - cant help

What happens is that the new user login failed. New users cannot login to the system. They receive a login failure from the system on changing their password. To get around this, I created the stored procedure and hard coded the last login field.
    huh?... are you still talking about "updating a table" here? I remember that was your original posting, am I missing something?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Procedure to update table

Hi,

Below is the error message I am getting when I execute the NewUser procedure.
    I need your input to resolve this.

SQL> exec NewUser('jbrown');
    BEGIN NewUser('jbrown'); END;

ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into ("MOUNTIN"."table_b"."COLUMN_ID")
    ORA-06512: at "JBROWN.NEWUSER:, line 10ORA-06512: at line 1

Please I need your input to resolve this.

Lucky

I'm wondering what part of...
    ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into ("MOUNTIN"."table_b"."COLUMN_ID")
    ...is not clear enough.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov