DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rebuilding Indexes PL/SQL Script

One more thing @PAVB, if orignal poster's appl deletes 36 million records per week (though not practical) then i would guess/expect it would leave many free blocks for re-use. I suspect if oracle is using blocks efficiently in his case, either due to wrong settings in his environment or oracle is genuinely failing to re-use blocks or he is using IOT. IMHO IOT not re-using index blocks though we do delete range of sequence numbers (first key of IOT) which are older than some date.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

This whole thing was discussed a couple of days ago... please research.
    Index blocks are re-used ONLY in they get empty, if you have a single active key sitting in the middle of the block and you are inserting keys that do not belong to the block, block is not reused.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I know that.. PAVB, i remember pando and myself making a point of block being re-used if all keys are deleted (wrt sequence/date).. unlike a set/range of blocks.. (i hope you remember).
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

so... if you know it, why you don't understand it? LMAO
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

when did i say that for a index with sequence/date as first key, if any block has even a single entry, then its candidate for re-use.. can you point where and when did i mention this?
    funky...

If you want to pick up some argument unnessarily (or for the heck of it), then i dont have issues.. i will just ignore your message..
    funky...