DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: index refers to funtion in DDL???

index refers to funtion in DDL???

hello,

This developer need some index grant. Which is fine. i have given him create index grant. but its still not working. so i given him create any index grant. Still not woking. here is what i got from him.
    " I need whatever special privilege(s) are needed to create indexes that refer to functions in the DDL. Here would be an example, which I cannot currently created under my existing privileges.

CREATE INDEX IDX_EDIELIGCOVIDENROLLCOVERAGE ON MHP_EDI_ENROLLCOVERAGE
    (TO_NUMBER("EDIELIGCOVID"))
    NOLOGGING
    NOPARALLEL;

-----------
    so what can be done to give him privilege to create index that refer to funtions in the DDL. Thanks for the help

You do not give a developer any DBA privilege -period.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

kool_max, following PAVB I would say : except on the case of test/development database, WHY you (dba) is not creating the necessary objetcs ? See, by definition a developer know NOTHING about PCTFREE, tablespaces, compression and N+1 other important things to get top performance from an object.... 99 times in 100, a developer will do a CREATE INDEX with all the options default, what NOT is always the recomended way to work....
    Anyway, answering : http://asktom.oracle.com/tkyte/article1/index.html explain about FBIs, the prvs required are QUERY_REWRITE_ENABLED=TRUE and QUERY_REWRITE_INTEGRITY=TRUSTED

Regards,

Chiappa

why don't you create index for him?
    Looking for the greatest evil in the world? Look in the mirror.

i wonder why no one came down hardly on kool_max, for not mentioning the error number.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Quote Originally Posted by abhaysk
    i wonder why no one came down hardly on kool_max, for not mentioning the error number.
    May be because there is a bigger issue to discuss?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Yea.. true, but some company policy allow developers to create structures (though it should be only on dev/qa enviroments).. or it may be such that there are application DBAs?.. whatever case may be, i was expecting someone would have come down heaily on missing info.. lol
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"