We are in the process of purchasing a server for migrating our database from 9iR1 (Pentium 3) to a latest server (with 10gR2).
Please could you assist me in getting the answers to the following questions pertaining to the server configuration for Oracle 10gR2 Database:
1. We have an option of purchasing an IBM Blade Server to host the Database and use SAN Storage for the Database file storage. Please could you let me know if this would be a right combination for an OLTP Database?
2. Is having Database files on SAN Storage a good idea? Please elaborate in terms of performance benefits, risks involved, availability factors.
3. Keeping in mind that we are still using a Pentium-3 Dual Core Server (1.5 GB RAM, 50 GB HDD) for app. 150 sessions on 1 production instance (1 GB SGA and 40 GB DB files), it would be highly appreciated if you could also suggest a rough configuration for the new database server that will host a 10gr2 production DB(migrated from 9ir1)?
1) Well what are your hardware requirements?
2) Depends on the SAN you buy and how you configure it as to how quick it is, risks involved and how available it is
3) The SGA configuration is dependant on the application using it - not the hardware