DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Answer my question?

Answer my question?

What are all the tools available in a day to day life of a DBA??? and pls state its use...

putty--establish connection with remote server

1.TOAD :-Toad is a powerful, low-overhead tool that makes database and application development faster and easier and simplifies day-to-day administration tasks.

2.Enterprise Manager :- Oracle Enterprise Manager is the only management software that provides complete management solution for your business applications with a unique top-down approach. It provides strong monitoring and management that encompasses end-user experience, application processes and flows, as well as the underlying software and system infrastructure

3.Web DBA for Oracle by BMC Software :- Web DBA for Oracle helps you manage your Oracle databases from the convenience of your Web Browser. The software sits on the top of a Web Server and allows you to interactively access and administer your databases remotely. As of now it supports Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server. In future releases the product will support IBM DB2 UDB as well.

4.Oracle Dataminer :-Oracle Data Miner is the graphical user interface for Oracle Data Mining

5.Netstat:- for configuring the network in Oracle

6.DBCA:- for creating the database

for connecting to the remote databases...

VPN connectivity is there..
    you can use SSH for the Linux machines..
    Last edited by gopu_g; 04-10-2008 at 08:52 AM.

I always keep a hammer, a frying pan and a bottle of brandy at my desk.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    hmmm i dont think so PAVB is a DBA

he is something else in disguise of a DBA

do you use the hammer to break down the tables and call it range partitioning ?

Quote Originally Posted by hrishy
    do you use the hammer to break down the tables and call it range partitioning ?
    Here is the deal, I usually do not have "problems" with software I rather consider those "challenges". What I have "problems" with are uncooperative/stupid hardware and people; then...

Hammer
    -- Very useful when dealing with uncooperative/stupid hardware. Once you hit it with a hammer there is no doubt it has to be replaced, stop trying to fix what can't be fixed you SOB!

Frying pan
    -- Very useful when dealing with uncooperative/stupid people. If the SOB keeps trying to fix what can't be fixed, hit him/her in the head with the frying pan. If needed you can always claim it was a kitchen accident.

Bottle of brandy
    -- Very useful to deal with myself when all hope is lost because of either uncooperative/stupid hardware or uncooperative/stupid people. If even after the hammer/frying pan treatment both uncooperative/stupid hardware and people keep commited to make your life misserable, then you go for the bottle of brandy

Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

SQL Developer - Oracle Software Like Toad and free

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    Is there a particular brandy that you use? I usually find scotch helpful. Perhaps Oban or Highland Park.

I use a combination of OEM, SQL Developer, sql_trace 10046 and tkprof, and evil stares!

I'm more of a Merlot person myself. Covers the same territory as Brandy but leaves you able to wield the hammer and frying pan a bit longer.

We also use OraCompare a lot here. We're forever (or so it seems) comparing schemas between test and production servers verifying that our test environments are setup properly. Also came in very handy during a recent migration from Oracle 7.3 on UNIX all the way up to (don't laugh) Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows.

I've been told that Toad covers the same territory as OraCompare and then some.

My best tool is Scotch..

Oct 2007 was the last time I drank Johnnie Walker (Black Label).