DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Attach Datafile

Attach Datafile

I format my Operating system Drive and I forget to get Backup for my Oracle 10g R2 ,but I installed oracle and the datafiles in other drive

i want to Attach the previous Datafile to current new Oracle Database
    PLZ help me to do that and how ?

Thanks

if you have all the datafiles and ocntrol files then just create a service and start up the database.
    You cannot attach datafiles from one database to another

Can you explain more
    You mean :
    1- Install a new Oracle DB in the same path with out create a DB by the installtion wizared Question here is
    in Same of previous installation path, It will overwrite the files.
    or in different path and now how i can create the services and link this servcies with previous file

or you mean to copy the Control,RedoLog,Datafile and make new installation with out create for DB and then paste the Files to the orginal path then create the services ,PLZ how I can do that

appreciate your potential.

and finally the day has come when Dave got his well deserved reward!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by moneernet
    appreciate your potential.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

There is no answer

What part of Dave's post you didn't get?
    Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    if you have all the datafiles and ocntrol files then just create a service and start up the database.
    You cannot attach datafiles from one database to another
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

As i Describe in my next post to Dave :

1- I dont have any tools to create services because I formated the Operating
    System Drive so the Oracle DB need to new installation
    which mean
    - I need to overwrite the previous installation
    - Even if I copy the previous files and paste it to original path after new installation how i can make new Services

2- The Steps of Create a new Services because I'm new to Oracle Techs.

3- IF there is a new structure for the PC I mean
    Win XP rather WIN 2000 or what else what i can do

Dear PAVB
    with MS - SQL server I Just attach the mdb file to any new DB even in different structure
    Can I do that with this simplicity with ORACLE DB?

I Try to use the following solutions :-

- Make a new ORACLE DB installtion with same structure of previous one.
    -copy the Data File,Redolog File,Control File,Parameter Files to new installation paths and overwrite it aftre shutdown the DB and stop Oracle Services.
    - Also to be more sure I overwrite the files via sofemode to ensure there is no oracle services running.
    - When I try to log to oracle I get the following error message :-
    "Oracle Not initialization or in shudown progress" .

Dear
    I talk so much but this problem take me over.

Appreciate your Patient and Activity.
    and again sorry for long describe.

As i Describe in my next post to Dave :

1- I dont have any tools to create services because I formated the Operating
    System Drive so the Oracle DB need to new installation
    which mean
    - I need to overwrite the previous installation
    - Even if I copy the previous files and paste it to original path after new installation how i can make new Services

2- The Steps of Create a new Services because I'm new to Oracle Techs.

3- IF there is a new structure for the PC I mean
    Win XP rather WIN 2000 or what else what i can do

Dear PAVB
    with MS - SQL server I Just attach the mdb file to any new DB even in different structure
    Can I do that with this simplicity with ORACLE DB?

I Try to use the following solutions :-

- Make a new ORACLE DB installtion with same structure of previous one.
    -copy the Data File,Redolog File,Control File,Parameter Files to new installation paths and overwrite it aftre shutdown the DB and stop Oracle Services.
    - Also to be more sure I overwrite the files via sofemode to ensure there is no oracle services running.
    - When I try to log to oracle I get the following error message :-
    "Oracle Not initialization or in shudown progress" .

Dear
    I talk so much but this problem take me over.

Appreciate your Patient and Activity.
    and again sorry for long describe.

I knew you had SQL Server background! not that having it is a bad thing, I actually like it pretty much.

Well... welcome to the Oracle world, as pointed by Dave there is not such a thing as attaching a datafile in Oracle.

Let me translate Dave's post.

1-- Make a fresh installation of Oracle binaries.
    2-- Do not create a new Database thinking in adding/attaching to it your old datafiles, wait please.
    3-- Create a new Database POINTING to your old datafiles; to do this follow the standard procedure of clonning a database.
    4-- Startup your database with resetlogs option

Post your session log.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    I knew you had SQL Server background! not that having it is a bad thing, I actually like it pretty much.

Well... welcome to the Oracle world, as pointed by Dave there is not such a thing as attaching a datafile in Oracle.

Let me translate Dave's post.

1-- Make a fresh installation of Oracle binaries.
    2-- Do not create a new Database thinking in adding/attaching to it your old datafiles, wait please.
    3-- Create a new Database POINTING to your old datafiles; to do this follow the standard procedure of clonning a database.
    4-- Startup your database with resetlogs option

Post your session log.
    Wew... I can see that you have noticed the poster is new to oracle.
    And so instruction #3 and #4 will be very easy for him/her.
    ---------------