DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why logical backup is needed?

Why logical backup is needed?

These dayz the companies are more into RMAN backup strategies, eventhough RMAN provides all sort of backup and recovery options, why companies still take logical backups?? and Moreover why they still take HOT and COLD backup???

why dont you ask the people who do it?

HI

Ya you were rght. but the logicle backup is helpfull while importing the data individual schema wise. also while migartion on differnt platform logical backup is more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by j_e_paul
    These dayz the companies are more into RMAN backup strategies, eventhough RMAN provides all sort of backup and recovery options, why companies still take logical backups?? and Moreover why they still take HOT and COLD backup???
    I can see several possible scenarios...

1- They need them for some specific business requirement
    2- They need them for some specific technical requirement
    3- They do it because of they have nothing better to do
    4- They don't even know what they are doing

As noted by Dave go and ask them, how are we supposed to know?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

@ dave if u don't know the answer better leave others to discuss... how i know tat this people do this logical backups and tat people doesn't do.... if u don't do.. better don't participate in this...

@pavb... thanx for the reply.... if u dunno the answer don't participate in this discussion.. better wait for some others to express their views...

@ rahul.wankhede .. thanx a lot buddy...
    Last edited by j_e_paul; 04-14-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Thumbs down

Maybe your concern should not be what "other" companies do (if you don't know what that is) and better focus on what should "I" be doing to guarantee good backups.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA
    Maybe your concern should not be what "other" companies do (if you don't know what that is) and better focus on what should "I" be doing to guarantee good backups.

thanx for ur advice buddy..
    Last edited by j_e_paul; 04-15-2008 at 08:46 AM.

Talking

I believe PAVB gave you the response to that question.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by j_e_paul
    thanx for ur advice buddy.. the question is i want to know why we go for logical backups when everything is available in the form of RMAN???..
    that obviously is not true

Quote Originally Posted by gopu_g
    Also, export can only read "cooked" files, and database with raw files (e.g. RAC) cannot be copied with export.
    so you are saying you cannot export RAC using export?

Wrong