DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Data Guard + Oracle Streams Implementation (Oracle 10.2 Database)

Question Oracle Data Guard + Oracle Streams Implementation (Oracle 10.2 Database)

Hi Experts,

I want to configure Data Guard (Physical Standby) + Oracle Streams for HA and DR. I have configured Data Guard at 2 servers and Oracle Streams between Primary Database and Streams Subscriber (3rd Database server) successfully.
    Should I implement streams at Standby Database also so that my implementation can become a HA implementation?

Hope to hear from you soon !

Best Regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi

What kind of HA and DR are you looking for in your solution.

My experience with streams as a HA/DR solution is not really what i wanted.

HA and DR are very broad topic you need to detail out what exactly you are looking for.

If you are asking us to evaluate your current DR HA then its difficult without knowing all you requirements in detail.

Just Curious why do you have a 3rd database as a stream replication subscriber for your HA/DR ?

regards
    Hrishy

Question

Thanks hrishy,

I have very limited resources to implement HA. I cannot use Oracle RAC the moment. I have only two servers at my site, so I have deployed Data Guard (Physical Standby) on them.
    I was asked to share data (specific columns) with another site (3rd Server) i.e It was required to send specific columns' data to 3rd Server (remote site). I did it using Oracle Streams.
    Now I need suggestion/recommendation that should i configure streams at Standby database as well?
    So that i can share data with 3rd server without any interruption.

It looks like two different scenarios to me...
    a) Standby -Data Guard driven plus
    b) Replication -Streams driven

In regards to your last question, what kind of connectivity do you have in between your main site and your remote site?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Yes PAVB !

I am using two technologies, Oracle Data Guard and Oracle Streams.

There is only one option available for connectivity as for as Oracle Streams concerned, that is Oracle Database Link (according to my knowledge).

Hi

I haven't tested the configuration that you have proposed.
    But i think what happens is when the primary database is down on a witch over or a failover to the secondary database the streams environment would be automatically be sourcing data from the new primary database after you do the failover/switchover.

However having said that its only my hunch i am not 100% sure if that is true.

I think we need to test the above scenario

This paper here might help
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/dep...onsStreams.pdf

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 03-26-2008 at 07:01 AM.

You are correct, you need a DBLink but I was asking for something buried a little deeper in the OSI model.

How about going down to Layer 2?... what kind of network do you have in between your sites?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi

When i look at your diagram it tells me that your streams database is a single point of failure and if you want true HA then you need to have a standby database configured for the stream's database also no ?

regards
    Hrishy

The same question I have

Hello sonicefu.

I have Data Guard with Physical Standby like you. Now, I am testing Oracle Streams between two different servers and I want to configure Oracle Streams between Primary and another server, like you tell us in this post.

It is work? When you exec a switchover or failover, the Standby database works like source in the Stream configuration? I need be sure about this.

My Stream configuration between Primary and Destination server not work. I don't know why but I am working in this question. The problems are in the apply process, something about SCN. Any idea?

Hope you read this post.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicefu View Post
    Hi Experts,

I want to configure Data Guard (Physical Standby) + Oracle Streams for HA and DR. I have configured Data Guard at 2 servers and Oracle Streams between Primary Database and Streams Subscriber (3rd Database server) successfully.
    Should I implement streams at Standby Database also so that my implementation can become a HA implementation?

Hope to hear from you soon !

Best Regards,