DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Nls Character Set

Question Nls Character Set

Hi. I have a 10.2.0.3 database which has the NLS currently set to AL16UTF16. Due to certain application requirements, I need to change the NLS to UTF8. There is a script in RDBMS/ADMIN/N_SWITCH.sql that might do this conversion. Will this script work ? Has anybody done this conversion ?
    Please let me know. Thank you.

The good news is that Oracle provides ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET command to do what you want to do.

The bad news is it only works if your target character set is a strict superset of the source character set.

Your homework is to determine were UTF8 is a strict superset of AL16UTF16 or not.

In case you find out that it is not a strict superset, don't worry. You can always create a new UTF8 database and migrate the data resorting to exp/imp.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.