DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Export Oracle 10g and Import to Oracle 9i

Export Oracle 10g and Import to Oracle 9i

I have a data warehouse server that's running Redhat AS 2.1 and Oracle 9.2.0.4, and a production database that's running Redhat AS 4.0 and Oracle 10.2.0.3. I need to export tables from the Oracle 10g database and import them into the Oracle 9i database. The Oracle 10g server/database is new. I know I need to use the Oracle 9i exp command to export the data from the Oracle 10 databse, but don't know all the steps needed to do this. I'm a part-time dba so I would appreciate clear/detailed steps on how to get the two servers to talk to each other, and then how to use the exp command from the Oracle 9 server. The documentation I found said to invoke the exp command on the lower version machine using:

EXP user/password@tnsname arguments...

I'm really not sure how to get the new server in the tnsnames on the lower Oracle 9 version. I need to do a full export from the Oracle 10 database. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

edit the tnsnames.ora file on your data warehouse server with the details of the 10g database, take an existing entry and change the bits about host and database name then run exp as normal

Use the vi editor? Does the database server software not have anything like the Net Configuration Assistant that you have on the client? I don't want to mess up the tnsnames file like you can if you hand edit your client tnsnames instead of using the config assistant. Just thought I'd make sure. Thanks.
    Last edited by llewis; 03-18-2008 at 09:15 AM.

1- make a copy like: cp tnsnames.ora tnsnames.ora.080318
    2- analyze the structure of tnsnames entry and determine what you need
    3- vi it and add your entry and save it
    4- tnsping your new entry to be sure is working fine.
    5- say Thank you to Dave.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.