DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Join Union ...grouping records

Join Union ...grouping records

Hi,
    I basically have three tables from which i need to fetch the data which i am doing using inner joins and its working fine...
    But now the problem is that i need to group the resultant data using column in one of the table satisfying certain conditions i.e
    I have something like this :

SELECT first_table.field1, first_table.field2, second_table.field3, second_table.field4, third_table.field5, third_table.field6
    FROM first_table
    INNER JOIN second_table
    ON first_table.keyfield = second_table.foreign_keyfield
    INNER JOIN third_table
    ON second_table.keyfield = third_table.foreign_keyfield

But now i want to further group the resultant records into different groups depending upon something like :
    where third_table.field5 in (' val1', ' val2')
    where third_table.field5 in (' val3', ' val4')
    where third_table.field5 in (' val5', ' val6')

Can anyone Please help me with this second part...

Please take the following as untested pseudo-code under the assumption you are trying to do a group by
    Code:
    select  ..., 
            decode(third_table.field5,val1,1,val2,1,val3,2,val4,2,val5,3,val6,3) "MYGROUP"
    from
    (
    SELECT first_table.field1, first_table.field2, second_table.field3, second_table.field4, third_table.field5, third_table.field6
    FROM first_table
    INNER JOIN second_table
    ON first_table.keyfield = second_table.foreign_keyfield
    INNER JOIN third_table
    ON second_table.keyfield = third_table.foreign_keyfield
    )
    group by "MYGROUP"
    ;
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.