DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Materialized View

Materialized View

Hello, I am learning some about materialized view and my question is:
    Could the materialized views cause some aditional consequences or problems in the normal database performance?

version: oracle 8.1.7

thanks!!!!
    Last edited by crey; 04-07-2008 at 03:24 PM.

It all depends on what you do with your materialized view, just as an example a simple MVIEW that gets recreated once a week when no users are hitting the database would have less impact that a complex MVIEW that gets refreshed once an hour 24x7
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Materialized View - Colateral Effect

Thanks for your answer. But I refer about the disadvantages or bad consecuences when we use MVIEW in the database's performance. The effect in the database. I know that more complex more impact, but Are there "Colateral Effects" to I have take account?

Thanks a lot!!!!

P/D: Sorry for my english. I am Argentinian.
    Last edited by crey; 04-08-2008 at 08:42 AM.

well... who would know Argentinian was so close a language to English

Would you mind in defining what would be a "collateral effect"? please note that what I've described shows two very different impacts on database performance depending on your particular MVIEW.

Also, take into consideration you shouldn't resort to MVIEWs because they have a cool name, you resort to them when you really need them.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.