DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Table Partitioning ( MS SQL2005 Vs Oracle)

Table Partitioning ( MS SQL2005 Vs Oracle)

Maybe this thread is not quite related with oracle . Actually I am facing an issue about how to hike the inquiry performance over a very large table which stores the order items from different companies .
    a. the number of companies is 7 ( which is fixed and unlikely it will be changed )
    b. the order items from different companies won't interferred each other . ( on the other words , order from Company A will be handled by Company A only ).
    c. The table is too large.

I was thinking to create different table partitions for different companyA in this table . My assumption is , by doing so , the inquiry speed will be up , because the inquiry will only scan the specific partition ( in my assumption).

Is it possible to create table partition in SQL Server ( because currently infra is on SQL Server) . I heard that SQL Server2005 has a simular new feature about partitioni . But I am not sure whether it does well as what oracle does.

Please advise .
    1. www.dbasupport.com
    2. www.dbforums.com
    3. www.itpub.net
    4. www.csdn.net
    5. www.umlchina.com
    6. www.tek-tips.com
    7. www.cnforyou.com
    8. fm365.federal.com.cn
    9. www.programmersheaven.com
    10.http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp
    ligang1000@hotmail.com

I am not expert in sql server but hope below will help you...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345146.aspx
    Rgds
    Parag

Since you are running on SQL Server 2005 you should be fine.
    As far as I know SQL Server 2005 handles partitions in a very much Oracle alike way.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.