DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DB Links broken

DB Links broken

I need help on this issue ASAP ...

Our linux server got recycled yesterday. We have 3 Oracle 10g databases and 3 Oracle 9.2.0.8 databases on that server. The server and databases were brought up fine. The issue we are having is that the db links seem to be broken. If I set my environment to Oracle 10g I can connect (sqlplus) to the mainframe database with no issues. But if I set my environment of Oracle 9.2.0.8 I am not able to make a sqlplus connection to the mainframe database, it gives me a ORA-12154 error. I am sure this is a reason my db links might be broken.
    I am able to successfully tnsping to the mainframe environment under both the versions of Oracle.

Please help!!!

Chintz

check your tnsnames file

The tnsnames file is good.
    They are the same under the 9.2.0.8 version and the 10g version.
    Also, tnsping is returning a valid value.

CHintz

Do you have a single TNSNAMES.ora file for both Ora9i and Ora10g environments or do you have a TNSNAMES.ora file in each one of the ORACLE_HOMEs?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I have a tnsnames.ora file in both the ORACLE_HOMES (9i & 10g).

Something is wrong with your Ora9i environment, most likely your TNSNAMES.ora file -Ora9i version- is not good or you are not setting the environment correctly.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I am in the thought process too that the issue lies in the 9i binaries. But how do I confirm this? The only change that has been done is that the Linux server got recycled. But the server gets recycled all the time. This is not new.
    ANy ideas in how shoudl I troubleshoot this error.

Any input will be truly appreciated.

Chintz

If your Ora9i databases are alive the problem is not on Oracle binaries.
    Review your Ora9i TNSNAMES file as already appointed by Dave.
    Review your environmental variables when you are set to use Ora9i.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov