DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Datafile online, but needs recovery

Exclamation Datafile online, but needs recovery

Hi!

I am a newbie. Recently I added datafile to a tablespace in my database since that particular tablespace was nearly full.

I added two datafile, each with 500mb in size. However, I mistakenly gave a wrong name for one of the datafile. Instead of naming it s_example02.dbf, I named it 02.dbf.

Noticing that, I tried to change its name back. But cannot. So I brought that datafile offline using Enterprise Console.

The next day, when I tried to do a full backup using customized sql script, a messege popped up telling me that 02.dbf cannot be backup due to some problem.

Because of that, I came back to Enterprise console and tried to bring that datafile online. However, an error messege came out telling me that that datafile needs recovery.

What should I do? I desperately want to rename that datafile. But now it gave me problem to my daily full backup routine..

Help me! S.O.S!! Mayday!! Mayday!!

firstly - find a dba

secindly you need to recover that datafile

take the tablespace offline and do recover datafile 'x' where x is its number

Hi

Please please follows davevys advice please hire a DBA all your jobs might be saved someday.

I am very verysurprised people trying to do these kind of things its very scary.

self medication is not only bad sometimes it could be fatal

regards
    Hrishy

Thanks for replying.

Firstly, I am their new DBA, unfortunately. I have experience using MySQL. But Oracle is definitely a new world for me.

Secondly, I was not given any proper training. So I tried to dig up and build my knowledge independently.

How unfortunate am I...