DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: open_links, open_links_per_instance doesn't work

Unhappy open_links, open_links_per_instance doesn't work

Hi,
    I would like to limit number of connections through db link to one connection only.
    I've set both parameters open_links and open_links_per_instance to 1.
    But i can still run more than one queries in different sessions (also query inside pl/sql loop). What is wrong. I think that i can't understand these parameters meaning.
    How can i limit number of connections through db links ? How these parameters work really what i don't know ? Very appreciate for any answer

open_links_per_instance allows other transaction owned by the same user to go thru the link, that's why you can run more than one query.
    open_links limits the number of connection TO REMOTE databases; you do no set this parameter on the target database.

I assume you have created on the target database a specific-private account to be used by DBlink to connect; am I correct?

If yes, you can set a limit to how many concurrent sessions can have that specific account.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thank'you for an answer - and next question

Hello Pavb,

Should i do sth like this :

CREATE PROFILE clerk LIMIT
    SESSIONS_PER_USER 1

?

Best Regards Arkadiusz Masny

Yes. Then assign the Oracle account DBLink uses to connect to that profile.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.