DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: get started

get started

I've never used Oracle database , and I just tried installing (11g express edition) last weekend. I was expecting to see some kind of UI where I make tables and queries and views and all, like Microsoft Access, and well I don't see anything of the sort. Can someone help me get started? Maybe it just doesn't show a UI because I had an error during install (and a warning)?

-NETWORK CONFIG WARNING ( BECAUSE iIM NOT ON A NETWORK, JUST THE INTERNET)
    -ORACLE HOME PATH FOR SPACES ERROR

All I want to do is see that I can make a table, or tablespace, or anything.

My items in the start menu are:
    Application Development
    Configuration and Migration Tools
    Integrated Management Tools
    Oracle Installation Products
    Warehouse Builder

I don't see any main UI where I actually creat a table or tablespace or anything.

I have a book on 11g but it only shows how to upgrade, not how to install or get started.(has instead, Getting started with Oracle Architecture)

Hi, you need to also download SQL Developer at http://www.oracle.com/technology/pro...per/index.html

This is the UI for running SQL, creating tables and so on. It works with Oracle Express a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by edcompsci
    I was expecting ... like Microsoft Access
    Welcome to the real world.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.