DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sql query

sql query

hi,

i have 2 tables t1 and t2 storing different aspects of the same data. i need to create a view v1 that select rows from both tables t1 and t2 using this simple rule:

- if a row appears in both t1 and t2, then select the row in t1, else select row in t2

pls help. thanx

Is it homework, isn't it?
    Wouldn't be nice if you show us your best effort?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    actually i have been doing some development for an election application for a media house. the database stores the official results and the provisional results gathered by the media. for the reporting in this application, the requirement is that whenever official results are available, then these are used otherwise provisional results are used.

the challenge is i need to create this logic from the database and not from the application. this is because many other users are connecting and reading the results directly from the views for publishing purposes.

right now i have a view that gets all rows (using union), where i have each row labelled as OFFICIAL or PROVISIONAL respectively.

i need to get rid of this and display results as per the rules without labelling.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    actually i have been doing some development for an election application for a media house. the database stores the official results and the provisional results gathered by the media. for the reporting in this application, the requirement is that whenever official results are available, then these are used otherwise provisional results are used.

the challenge is i need to create this logic from the database and not from the application. this is because many other users are connecting and reading the results directly from the views for publishing purposes.

right now i have a view that gets all rows (using union), where i have each row labelled as OFFICIAL or PROVISIONAL respectively.

i need to get rid of this and display results as per the rules without labelling.

Okay... follows a workable pseudo-code

(
    select from t1
    union
    select from t2
    )
    minus
    (
    select from t2 where exist on t1
    )

The key of it is the use of MINUS to take out the rows you don't want.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Without knowing what your data really looks like, here's an example.
    Code:
    SQL> select * from tab_a;

NAME                              RESULTS SOURCE
    ------------------------------ ---------- --------------------
    player_1                               80 OFFICIAL
    player_3                               30 OFFICIAL

SQL> select * from tab_b;

NAME                              RESULTS SOURCE
    ------------------------------ ---------- --------------------
    player_1                              110 PROVISIONAL
    player_3                               30 PROVISIONAL
    player_2                               90 PROVISIONAL

SQL> select name, results
      2     from (
      3     select name, results, rank() over (partition by name order by source) rk
      4             from (select * from tab_a
      5                       union all
      6                   select * from tab_b)
      7     )
      8  where rk = 1;

NAME                              RESULTS
    ------------------------------ ----------
    player_1                               80
    player_2                               90
    player_3                               30

Thumbs up Thanks alot

thanks alot for your help PAVB and ebrian.

i have tested both methods and the view works in all cases. am using the MINUS method on the live data.