DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle RAC for 10.2 (Linux 64 bit - rhel4)...

Exclamation Oracle RAC for 10.2 (Linux 64 bit - rhel4)...

Hi everyone,

Well i'm fairly new with Oracle, and just needing some advice, and tips on which steps to take etc.

I have a 64 bit Linux machine with red hat 4 installed, this has Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10201_database_linux_x86_64.cpio.gz). I've installed the software and have a database set up too that i can use the web based enterprise manager with.

Now i have another machine, 64 bit and linux red hat 4, which i need to have to get Oracle clustering going using both these machines. So basicaly both of these machines should be in a cluster.

So for the 2nd machine, i need to download the Oracle 10g software right? and install that, PLUS install '10201_clusterware_linux_x86_64.cpio.gz' ? Do i need the first machine with this clusterware as well?

Basicaly im confused as what needs to be downloaded / run on what, and which documentation to read, as i have come across a few and not sure which to follow. Any help regarding what to do with the 2nd machine to get a cluster going and set up would be great,

Thanks in advance

you need to install clusterware on bother server and reinstall both machines with the Oracle software with the RAC option

Download the Complete Files
    10201_database_linux_x86_64.cpio.gz (758,433,170 bytes) (cksum - 2921604215)

Dosen't that download have the RAC option? Thats what i've used on the first machine which i had the initial database on.

Okay so ill download Oracle clusterware Release 2 and install it on both machines,

unless you have ther clusterware installed it doesnt give you the option of installing the RAC option, just a single database

ah right okay, so i basically i had the wrong software on the first machine,and i should have had JUST Oracle Clusterware Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Linux x86-64. or i could just leave the other software on the first machine and install the clusterware,

no, you need to install the clusterware on both THEN install the oracle database software choosing the options you want

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle10gRAC.shtml - thats for RG3 but principle is the same

ahh right, so do i get to keep the database when uninstalling all the oracle software on the first machine, or get rid of it all and start again with the clusterware software on both of the machines, then create the db.
    Thanks for all the help
    Last edited by Xion86; 01-17-2008 at 01:24 PM.

you can migrate the database to RAC if you wish, probably easier to create a new one though

Oh okay, i think it would be best if i created a new database then using RAC, goign to try and follow the guide you mentioned.

Bit confused about the storage side of things, as there seem to be different methods, i willnot be using ASM or anything, but thinking how it will work in my setup, i just have the 2 machines,the data just gets stored on the machines as normal then? dont have to configure anything special?
    Last edited by Xion86; 01-18-2008 at 06:59 AM.