DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NT4+Oracle80 -> Virtual Machine

[Solved]NT4+Oracle80 -> Virtual Machine

Hi All,

I had a hardware failure on one of my old legacy servers that runs Windows NT 4 and an old Oracle 8.0.5 install.

The solution was to move everything to a virtual machine. Now I've imaged the machine and loaded it onto the new box and now I'm getting odd errors out of Oracle. First, the listener would not start because of a line in the listener.ora referring to IPX/SPX. I was getting errors like this:

Attempted to listen on: (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_TIMEOUT=10)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=appserv2)(Port=1521)))
    TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
    TNS-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error
    TNS-00515: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
    32-bit Windows Error: 1001: Unknown system error

Now I get

11-JAN-08 12:21:56 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=MIL3)(CID=(PROGRAM=E:\Millennium\Bin\millog.exe)(HOST=LAB7)(USER=Kiloprep User))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.20.4.94)(PORT=4471)) * establish * MIL3 * 0
    11-JAN-08 12:21:57 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=MIL3)(CID=(PROGRAM=E:\Millennium\Bin\millog.exe)(HOST=LAB7)(USER=Kiloprep User))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.20.4.94)(PORT=4473)) * establish * MIL3 * 0
    11-JAN-08 12:21:58 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=MIL3)(CID=(PROGRAM=E:\Millennium\Bin\millog.exe)(HOST=LAB7)(USER=Kiloprep User))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.20.4.94)(PORT=4475)) * establish * MIL3 * 0

and the port keeps going up by two each time, up to 4521. Is this still an Oracle issue or is it my Millennium application?

And I guess my overall question: Is there anything I need to be aware of when imaging a box running Oracle like this? The only thing that really changed was the network card, the physical one removed and the virtual one added. I've checked over all the hosts files and tcp/ip settings and I'm lost as to what is going on.

Help!

Thanks very much,
    colonD
    Last edited by colonD; 01-11-2008 at 02:28 PM.

well number 1. vm's arent supported in oracle

Secondly your millenium program is the one trying to make the connection from those ports and is being allowed

Solved.

The issue was not surrounding Oracle, but the Millennium application. Thanks for your time and I apologize for jumping the gun.