Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    by reading the upgrade guide - good luck
    HI
    can u please send me some documents or some links that i can go through
    with regards
    gopu

otn.oracle.com

Import

I've gone from 8.1.4 to 10g RAC several times. I used full export and Full import to do it, but it went real smooth for me. I started by creating a blank database in 10g with the matching character set. I created tablespace creation scripts from the old DB and modified appropriately for 10g. For example, I set up the tablespaces to be locally managed etc. Once I created the tablespaces, I just did a normal import and it worked fine. I only ran into some small issues. The db sizes were 27 and 45GB's.

I've read that there is a way to use RMAN to do an import, but we don't use RMAN in the 8i environment, so it was not an option for me. Besides that, rman for 8i would only back up to tape, and I'd rather restore from disk than tape.

Quote Originally Posted by citrowske
    I've gone from 8.1.4 to 10g RAC several times. I used full export and Full import to do it, but it went real smooth for me. I started by creating a blank database in 10g with the matching character set. I created tablespace creation scripts from the old DB and modified appropriately for 10g. For example, I set up the tablespaces to be locally managed etc. Once I created the tablespaces, I just did a normal import and it worked fine. I only ran into some small issues. The db sizes were 27 and 45GB's.

I've read that there is a way to use RMAN to do an import, but we don't use RMAN in the 8i environment, so it was not an option for me. Besides that, rman for 8i would only back up to tape, and I'd rather restore from disk than tape.

you mean 8.1.5?

rman does backup to disk not only to tape

rman does not do logical backups, so no import whatsoever can be done, you probably have seen transportable tablespaces

Rman to Disk

I didn't mean to change the subject here...but you bring up a good point. I went from an 9i environment to an 8i environment moving toward 10g. Not having a lot of 8i experience, I just took for granted when the previous dba said that he didn't use RMAN b/c 8i doesn't support RMAN to disk. (It was too much $ to buy tape drives for all the servers). So now that you say that I did confirm what you said: http://lbd.epfl.ch/f/teaching/course...rma.htm#439410
    Cool. Thank you, that's good info...I'm going to look into that as my db's aren't getting converted to 10g as fast as I would like.

As I was looking through my 10g training manual, i also noticed another option -- Database Upgrade Assistant (DBUA) -- that is -- if you plan on upgrading an existing database. I didn't consider this option since I was going to RAC (on different servers and OS's) -- Import was a much less complicated option.