DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: UTL_FILE or Sqlplus Spool

UTL_FILE or Sqlplus Spool

Hello all,
    Could anybody suggest me if UTL_FILE or Sqlplus Spool has better performance to dump around one million rows in some 80+ text files. I googled for references, ended up with these two forum threads, with no clear clue on what to follow with:

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/arc...p/t-44153.html
    http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1616497

Merry X-mas to all !!!

Thanking you all in advance,
    gtcol

I would go with simple spool command.

Follow this rule:
    If you can do the job in a single SQL statement, do it.
    If it can not be done in SQL, use PL/SQL.

What about performance, as it is said, UTL_FILE is faster while reading/writing bulk number of records. Spool is better with smaller numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by gtcol
    What about performance, as it is said, UTL_FILE is faster while reading/writing bulk number of records. Spool is better with smaller numbers.
    TEST, TEST, TEST

Sure Tamil,
    I was just expecting some advices from the seniors as I don't have a dev db with me for the time being, for testing purpose.
    Thanking you once again,
    gtcol

Quote Originally Posted by gtcol
    Is this a recurrent or a one-time task?

If it's a one-time task I'll go with sql spool solution, if this is a recurrent task I would go with pl/sql ult_file solution.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks PAVB for your valuable input.
    I did with sqlplus spool this time, but I am also working with a UTL_FILE script as I can see this task recurring in the future. And testing is still there. .

gtcol