DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Searching the DB for a specific value

Searching the DB for a specific value

Hi

I am an java developer and entering data from the JSP into the Oracle database.

My query is that i want to search all the table names where a specific value is present.

Suppose i entered a string called "Hello" from JSP and it got stored in some database table. I want an SQL Query which returns me all the table names where this value "Hello" is present.

Please help me in this regard. Ite very urgent !!!!!

I can appreciate this is a very urgent matter to you... I bet your term paper is due in a few days and you have not clue about what's going on.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Any Help???

Thanks for the concern. But i would appreciate if you could please provide solution rather than consolation !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    I can appreciate this is a very urgent matter to you... I bet your term paper is due in a few days and you have not clue about what's going on.

We don't do school work here.
    Show us your best effort and we will gladly point you in the right direction if needed.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Listen Mister

I didn't ask for any favor from you and you better shut up saying this challenging task as home work which you do generally. I can understand that this problem is beyond what you can think and thus showing your frustration on unable to solve it.
    I gracefully request you to poke your nose some where else.

P.S: Dear moderators. I appologize but this fool's remarks were getting on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    We don't do school work here.
    Show us your best effort and we will gladly point you in the right direction if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by skyineyes
    Listen Mister

I didn't ask for any favor from you and you better shut up saying this challenging task as home work which you do generally. I can understand that this problem is beyond what you can think and thus showing your frustration on unable to solve it.
    I gracefully request you to poke your nose some where else.

P.S: Dear moderators. I appologize but this fool's remarks were getting on my nerves.
    So... you are a lazy-cheater with an attitude?
    Way to go.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Find out all the table names from dba_tables or user_tables depending on you requirement.
    Find out column names for each table from dba_tab_columns or user_tab_columns.

Lets Say you get a table name T with column name C.
    Do a select count(*) from T where C='HELLO';

You need to do this in PL/SQL procedure.

PS: I support PAVB it seems to me like a school assignment and you should agree you don't have a clue how to start this. And mind do not put here anything URGENT. We do here volunteer work coz we love it.
    http://www.perf-engg.com
    A performance engineering forum

i guess the query still seems to be un-answered.

how to do the following
    "Find out all the table names from dba_tables or user_tables depending on you requirement" ???????????? i guess skyineyes wants answer for this only.

may be it seems like a school assignment but still it somewhat tough !!!

Quote Originally Posted by malay_biswal
    Find out all the table names from dba_tables or user_tables depending on you requirement.
    Find out column names for each table from dba_tab_columns or user_tab_columns.

Lets Say you get a table name T with column name C.
    Do a select count(*) from T where C='HELLO';

You need to do this in PL/SQL procedure.

PS: I support PAVB it seems to me like a school assignment and you should agree you don't have a clue how to start this. And mind do not put here anything URGENT. We do here volunteer work coz we love it.

We are not here for baby sitting.
    If you can not do that much i guess you are one of those lazy asses i come across time to time. Lazy boy come on kick some ass.
    http://www.perf-engg.com
    A performance engineering forum

Smile

Dear Skyineyes:

Sorry you've been banned; but, in case you can still view your posting. You have to know the table's and column's names that you inserted your value "HELLO" into before you can do a search for it.

DBA_TABLES, USER_TABLES, ALL_TABLES, DBA_TAB_COLUMNS, etc. will only help if, at least, you have idea of what you're looking for. Then, the next step would be to construct the query to retrieve the value(s).

DSupp2008