DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: archive log

archive log

Hi Friends,

Im a little confused about terminologies in archive logging.
    These are to start archive logging and to start auto archiving.
    Are they different process?

As what I understood:
    To start acrhive log > alter system archive log start;
    To start auto archive> edit pfile and enable_archive_log=true

I am correct?

Thanks

no, wrong on both counts

Better start reading those doc

for archiving
    startup mount
    alter database archivelog;
    alter database open
    alter system log archive start//for automatic archiving

Thanks a lot friend, thats so very kind of you.
    Im using 9i and I want to stop generating archive logs because it generates lots of files. And this is just a development and test server. I read about it and got a little confused. I was able to enable archiving but I forgot how to disable it

So If I want to stop generating lots of logs but I dont want to froze the transaction activity and make the database hung. Is the command :
    ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG STOP or
    ALTER SYSTEM NOARCHIVELOG

If im in 9i do I still edit some spfile parameter?

Thanks a lot

alter database noarchivelog

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeshe
    Thanks a lot friend, thats so very kind of you.
    Im using 9i and I want to stop generating archive logs because it generates lots of files. And this is just a development and test server. I read about it and got a little confused. I was able to enable archiving but I forgot how to disable it

So If I want to stop generating lots of logs but I dont want to froze the transaction activity and make the database hung. Is the command :
    ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG STOP or
    ALTER SYSTEM NOARCHIVELOG

If im in 9i do I still edit some spfile parameter?

Thanks a lot
    What is wrong with it generating lots of files?
    Word of caution..just because it is dev does not mean they would take it kindly if you told them tomorrow that you can;t recover the latest transaction. If application is testing, changing,modifying and putting in a lot of work you don't want them starting over. Your decision has to involve them.
    Looking for the greatest evil in the world? Look in the mirror.

Reeshe,

You should know that, in real life situation one of the decisions that the DBA has to take is whether or not to operate his database in Archivelog mode. This means he has to have a thorough understanding of both operating mode. By default a database runs in noarchivelog mode. When you want to shift to archive mode, some configurations are necessary. You should add few parameters in you init.ora file. But the most important are:
    log_archive_start=true, log_archive_dest and log_archive_format. Of course you do that after cleanly shutting down you database. Once those parameters are configured, you start up your Db in mount stage and issue the alter database archivelog command. Next you shut it down(cleanly) again and start it anew. You can check whether the archiving is enable by querying the v$database table and selecting the log_mode field. If you wanna stop the automatic archiving you start the Db in mount stage and issue the alter database noarchivelog.

Reeshe,

You should know that, in real life situation one of the decisions that the DBA has to take is whether or not to operate his database in Archivelog mode. This means he has to have a thorough understanding of both operating mode. By default a database runs in noarchivelog mode. When you want to shift to archive mode, some configurations are necessary. You should add few parameters in your init.ora file. The most important are:
    log_archive_start=true, log_archive_dest and log_archive_format. Of course you do that after cleanly shutting down you database. Once those parameters are configured, you start up your Db in mount stage and issue the alter database archivelog command. Next you shut it down(cleanly) again and start it anew. You can check whether the archiving is enable by querying the v$database table and selecting the log_mode field. If you wanna stop the automatic archiving you start the Db in mount stage and issue the alter database noarchivelog.

Quote Originally Posted by abdel
    Reeshe,

You should know that, in real life situation one of the decisions that the DBA has to take is whether or not to operate his database in Archivelog mode. This means he has to have a thorough understanding of both operating mode. By default a database runs in noarchivelog mode. When you want to shift to archive mode, some configurations are necessary. You should add few parameters in you init.ora file. But the most important are:

why add a reply over a week later and add nothing?