DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Two different oracle inventories in one box

Two different oracle inventories in one box

DBAs,

I installed two Oracle home on the same box with the centralized inventories on Solaris 10g.
    But the company standard is use separate inventory for each oracle home

Is there any way to build a new inventory for the already-installed oracle home with centralized inventory?

Thanks,

Lily

and how is it a standard to have separate inventories when its a pretty hard thing to achieve?

also senseless..
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

We do the same thing here. I thought it was crazy at first too. But the reasoning is that an uninstall could accidentally uninstall something from another home. I didn't think that could happen, but actually saw this once when I did an uninstall of 10g and it removed the 9i listener.ora & tnsnames.ora. Thankfully this was on a test system.

As for the original question... I don't know a way to separate a central inventory. I would uninstall, and reinstall. Make sure to change your oraInst.loc to the new inventory location before you reinstall.

Thanks!
    Jodie

Quote Originally Posted by jodie
    We do the same thing here. I thought it was crazy at first too. But the reasoning is that an uninstall could accidentally uninstall something from another home. I didn't think that could happen, but actually saw this once when I did an uninstall of 10g and it removed the 9i listener.ora & tnsnames.ora. Thankfully this was on a test system.
    Thanks!
    Jodie

Well by accidently, your suerly mean user/dba mistake while uninstall?..

you must be kidding if you say oracle does such mess..?
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Quote Originally Posted by abhaysk
    Well by accidently, your suerly mean user/dba mistake while uninstall?..

you must be kidding if you say oracle does such mess..?
    No mistake. Simple uninstall of 10g. I believe the problem was that we never configured the 10g listener... it was still using the 9i listener. So it was confused.... that's my hunch anyway. I was pretty new (< 1 month) here, so there may have been some other configuration that wasn't right.. it was a test system. But I did a standard install/uninstall and then went to change the 9i tnsnames only to discover they had been deleted. I had edited it earlier in the day, so I know it was there. Very bizarre.

I've never tried to reproduce for obvious reasons.

Interestingly, they were already doing the separate oraInventories here before that happened to me, so they must have seen something like that before.

As a note though.. if you're using OEM Grid control, it gets VERY confused figuring out Deployments when you have separate OraInventories. It basically just recognizes the last oraInventory created. So if you're using Grid Control to manage your deployments, I would recommend just one oraInventory.

Thanks!
    Jodie

Jodie

did you try add the second orainventory in this file?

$ORACLE_HOME/sysman/config/OUIinventories.add

Quote Originally Posted by pando
    Jodie

did you try add the second orainventory in this file?

$ORACLE_HOME/sysman/config/OUIinventories.add
    Awesome... that looks like what we may need. I had never heard of it before. Thanks so much, Pando!