DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: License on failover node?

License on failover node?

Does anyone know what the Oracle license should be on the Failover node, i.e. the secondary server/database is inactive but in standby mode.

I have heard it should be fully licensed as the primary, and then I have also heard you can run the secondary database on an unlicensed computer for up to 10 days within a calender year.

We are interested in using Dataguard but aware of the licensing costs. Thanks.

Licensing Standby/Failover

The answer is that it depends. This is from Oracle's Software Investment Guide:
    "Failover – In this type of recovery, nodes are configured in “cluster;” the first
    installed node acts as a primary node. If the primary node fails, one of the
    nodes in the cluster acts as the primary node. In this type of environment,
    Oracle permits licensed Oracle Database customers to run the Database on
    an unlicensed spare computer for up to a total of ten separate days in any
    given calendar year.

Standby – In this type of recovery, a copy of the primary database is
    maintained on a separate server at all times. These systems are configured
    for disaster recovery purposes. If the primary database fails, the standby
    database is activated to act as the new primary database. In this
    environment, both the primary and the standby databases must be fully
    licensed. Additionally, the same metric must be used when licensing the
    databases in a standby environment.
    "

see http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/sig.pdf

Regards,

Thanks for the info.
    Does anyone know when these licensing rules came into effect?

I have several clients that are using the Hot Standby option from Oracle 8i to 10g, and are sure that when they originally licensed their servers, they were not informed that they had to fully license the secondary server. They only knew of the 10 days unlicensed secondary server option (apparently they were told it was 15 days then). Thanks. Rgds. Sheryl

define hot standby? if there is a standby database running it needs a full license

the 10 days things is ONLY if the software isnt running and is sitting there inc ase of emergency

The standby database is in 'recover mode'. We ship the archive logs across then apply them to the standby database. It is 'NEVER' opened. It would only be active as soon as a failover is needed. These databases are in Oracle 9i.

Some of our clients use the Oracle 9i Dataguard, where the logs are automatically shipped, and automatically applied to the secondary database, but the database is still in 'recover mode', and the secondary database lags behind the primary database. The secondary standby database is never opened and would only be activated by a failover.

We also have clients that use mirroring of disks. Again, the database is never opened unless activated by a failover. Would this effect them?
    Thanks.
    Rgds. Sheryl

you need a full license for that, there is an instance running

Thank you, but do you know when this license rule came into effect? And does it apply to all Oracle versions? Rgds. Sheryl

its always been the case as far back as i can remmeber

Thanks for the info.

My clients are very confused and when I have searched on this forum I think most of the members are confused too. I have found 2 quotes dated as far back as 2002:

2002:
    you don't license dataguard that I am aware of, in our case we can open the standby for up to 10 days a year before we have to license the standby
    2003:
    You dont have to pay for the physical standby.

Because users can log into the logical standby you need a license for that box.
    Thanks again. I am clear now. Rgds. Sheryl

you most certainly do license dataguard