DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Disaster Recovery for datawarehouse

Disaster Recovery for datawarehouse

Hi

Today i was in a interview and the interviewer asked me a tricky question on how to provide disaster recovery for Datawarehousing.

would like to know how you guys do it.

regards
    Hrishy

At its core I don't see how this is different then any other db. I suppose you could discuss some backup optimizations based on the assumption that the data could be reloaded from the original sources, and possibly doing something with partitioning and read-only tablespaces such that historical data is only backed up once, but ultimately it all comes down to how fast you need to be able to recover and if you are willing to spend the amount it'll take to get you there reliably.

Hi

Assuming finance is not a constraint what are the various options available with me.

The questions sounds easy but in reality its not (practically speaking offcourse) .

regards
    Hrishy

Well, there are thousands of options.
    In general, make an identical database at the disaster site and refresh it after each load. One may use transportable tablespaces, or insert/select via DB link or whatever
    Edit:
    Nothing is easy with the DWH systems, because of their huge size

Hi

Thats not a feasible option since there are 100's of Jobs running and doing the load in nologging option.

regards
    Hrishy

Nightly incremental backups applied to image-copies on the remote host. However you'll lose up to a days worth of loading if the disaster occurs immediately before the backup occurs.
    Last edited by jhmartin; 11-20-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Hi

Thanks for responding.

Yeah thats a good idea nightly incremental applied to image copies over a remote site.

Thanks very much wish i had thought about this in the interview.

regards
    Hrishy