DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1Z0-030 or 1Z0-045

1Z0-030 or 1Z0-045

I am an Oracle 8i OCP planning on writing the upgrade exams. Curious to get your opinion on what I should do: 030 (8i to to 9i and than 040 9i to 10g) or just do 045 (8i to 10g).

I know oracle 9i fairly well and was a part-time Oracle DBA instructor for the past few years.

If I do 030 I may decide to stop and wait (I have a newborn at home) and not worry about 030 going away. Also it would take me much less time to prepare.

Or should I just get it over with by jumping to 10g?

I really want to hear your comments.
    Leo
    Oracle 8i OCP DBA
    Toronto, Canada

I don't know how much study material is out for 8i->10g upgrade. I thought about going this way myself...
    Jeff Hunter

I went over the topics for 8i->10g. This upgrade covers ALL of the 9i to 10g upgrade topics PLUS about 50% of 8i to 9i upgrade... I did attend 10g new features for DBAs ( and have the book), as well as I know 9i and tought 9i numerous times. Have the 9i upgrade book as well.
    Leo
    Oracle 8i OCP DBA
    Toronto, Canada

Hi Leo (fellow Canadian!),

I've heard that if you are working with 9i, or expect to, you should just do the 9i exams. The reasoning is that 9i requires slightly more knowledge to administer compared to 10g. Maybe someone who has more certification experience can verify this. I myself have been to both 10g courses and only use 10g at work, so I can't say for sure.

Best Regards,
    Brian Peasey
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    http://oracle-exam-study-groups.com

Thank you, Brian.
    Leo
    Oracle 8i OCP DBA
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by leo
    I am an Oracle 8i OCP planning on writing the upgrade exams. Curious to get your opinion on what I should do: 030 (8i to to 9i and than 040 9i to 10g) or just do 045 (8i to 10g).

I know oracle 9i fairly well and was a part-time Oracle DBA instructor for the past few years.

If I do 030 I may decide to stop and wait (I have a newborn at home) and not worry about 030 going away. Also it would take me much less time to prepare.

Or should I just get it over with by jumping to 10g?

I really want to hear your comments.
    I work as a DBA in Software Support and I don't think any our clients have moved to 10g yet. In fact, in the last 6 months, some of our clients finally moved to 9i from 8i and I don't think they will be moving to 10g anytime soon.
    I did it the long way, I decided to do the 9i upgrade and I am currently working on the 10g exam (I'm taking it in three weeks). I think a lot of companies will be staying on 9i for a while longer.

Quote Originally Posted by bharris
    I work as a DBA in Software Support and I don't think any our clients have moved to 10g yet. In fact, in the last 6 months, some of our clients finally moved to 9i from 8i and I don't think they will be moving to 10g anytime soon.
    I did it the long way, I decided to do the 9i upgrade and I am currently working on the 10g exam (I'm taking it in three weeks). I think a lot of companies will be staying on 9i for a while longer.
    Thanks for reply. A lot of my customers are just moving to 9i as well. Just a few have 10g installed with no plans on putting it to production.

How was your 9i upgrade exam? Was it very difficult? Curious to know.
    Leo
    Oracle 8i OCP DBA
    Toronto, Canada

Looked up study stuff on www.STSware.com, didn't find it but man the prices have shot up. Last time I bought the 030, I paid 69$. It's 249$ these days. Geeeezz...
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Do the 9i first, it makes your signature look better

Seriously though, you should do the certification for the version of the database you are most likely to work with. I've been really lucky as we were forced to move to 10g RAC as soon as it was released, but I'm always being offered work for 8i and 9i, so these certification are very relevant.

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Thank you, Tim.

I always value your opinion.
    Leo
    Oracle 8i OCP DBA