DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: where is ld_library_path set?

where is ld_library_path set?

Ok I've been living in a windooze coma for 3 years and finally got the green light for LINUX.

We installed OEL 4 64 bit, 10.2. Ran the installer and created a seed db with dbca. Then I noticed things like SQL PLUS , NETCA would not work. I set the ld_library_path and they work fine.

Where should this bet set? Did we miss something on the install of OS or DB?
    My inclination is to set it in the bash_profile however the Oracle Install docs say not to do that.

Thanks

Steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Hi

That line in the documentation is wrong.

If you dont do that some binaries like sqlplus netca will not work

can you please post the link where it tells not to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 11-18-2007 at 04:22 AM.

Actually I found it in Pre-Install checks for 10gR2 RDBMS (10.2.x) - Linux AMD64/EM64T Platforms
    Doc ID: Note:342555.1

I know it has to be set. I'm going through the install docs and megastink notes to find out where it tells me to set it. oR does the OUI set it and for some reason it didn't.
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

for the install, it sorts itself out - for normal operation you need to sort it out in your environment settings

On linux you can globally set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH by editing the /etc/ld.so.conf fiile to include the directory you want and then running 'ldconfig'. Alternatively you can set your shell-specific profile (.bash_profile,.profile, /etc/profile, etc) to define the LD_LIBRARY_PATH you want.