DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Header & Trailer to a flat file

Header & Trailer to a flat file

We created a flat file which will be truncated and updated freshly each time when a batch run.We are asked to add a Header and Trailer to this flat file.
    The requirement says the Header should be updated with the Date and Time of the batch run and the Trailer with some error message.
    So each time these Header and Trailer will be updated fereshly at batch run.
    Thanks in Advance.

Pretty clear business specs ...and your question is?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi

The question is how to add a header and trailer to aflat file which can be updated each time?

Thanks and Regards
    kavpaal

I would create three physical files e.g. header, body and trailer; then a simple O/S script can take care of putting them togheter as a single file.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.