DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2 active datafiles in a tablespace

2 active datafiles in a tablespace

Hi Friends,

I have created a tablespace TS_IMAGE, and created two (2) datafiles associated to it, one on disk D: and the other on disk E: . Both drives(D,E) have other files/dirs created on it and are subject to run-out of space. Also both datafiles are created equally (same size, auto-extend, locally managed,etc).

My question is are both datafiles active at the same time? If created a table or extend it, which datafile shall it go?

Thanks a lot,
    Behind The Success And Failure Of A Man Is A Woman

whichever one it chooses to

A tablespace is nothing but a collection of datafiles which are nothing but a collection of datablocks.

Looking at it from the logical point of view space for each one of your objects is organized in "extents" which are nothing but a collection of datablocks.

At the time you create a table/index -or a table/index grows- you are allocating extents at the tablespace level letting Oracle to decide the datafile where to allocate the space you need.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

thanks davey and pavy

I just want to be sure that if my drive D: is full it will still continue writing on
    E:
    Last edited by yxez; 11-12-2007 at 09:10 AM.
    Behind The Success And Failure Of A Man Is A Woman