DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle 9.2.0.8 backout to 9.2.0.6

Oracle 9.2.0.8 backout to 9.2.0.6

I have Oracle 9.2.0.8 (32 bit) running in Solaris environment( 64 bit) . I need to back-out to Oracle 9.2.0.6.

- I first tried running the installation for 9.2.0.6 patchset and that complained saying “ no patches were needed at this time” .

- The release notes for 9.2.0.8 say that I should run ‘catbkout.sql’ and then restore Oracle 9i installation and the inventory from the backup. While I know the location of oraInventory, I don’t know how to restore the ‘9i installation’ and ‘inventory’ from it.

Please recommend a back-out procedure from 9.2.0.8 to 9.2.0.6. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

To begin with, you may want to backup what you have, then you would shutdown all the Oracle components running in your ORACLE_HOME.

Then, simply replace your complete oraInventory and ORACLE_HOME directories with the 9.2.0.6 backups that you took before the upgrade. (You did do a backup BEFORE the upgrade, right??)

I had taken a backup of ORACLE_HOME but not of oraInventory. Does this mean I am in trouble ?

To my knowledge, there is no way around your situation without reinstalling.

Maybe others have suggestions.

You mean I need to re-install the whole Oracle 9i again ? or is there a way I can just re-install the 9.2.0.6 patch ?

reinstall 9.2.0.6 again

How do I go about reinstalling 9.2.0.6 ? I tried running the installer for the patchset 9.2.0.6 and that errored out saying no patchsets were needed at this time. Do I need to delete some files first ?

Uninstall Ora 9.2.0.6 using OUI
    Stop/Kill any Oracle processes that might have survived
    Delete/Remove everything under your Ora 9.2.0.6 ${ORACLE_HOME}
    Do a fresh Ora 9.2.0.6 installation
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks a lot! I will try that now.

are you not gonna query the registry if the status of database components are indeed at 9.2.0.8 and not 9.2.0.6?
    ---------------