DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MS Cluster/FailSafe fail to start DB & listener

MS Cluster/FailSafe fail to start DB & listener

Hi there,

We are using MS Cluster with Oracle FailSafe 3.3.4 on a 2 node cluster.
    1 database instance on each of the 2 nodes configured as active/active.

When I stop the MS Cluster service for SAN disk maintenance, the 2 databases are shutdown automatically.

But when MS Cluster service is started up, in Windows Services on both nodes shows that the Oracle listener and Database instance are started.
    However, in actual fact, when I try to connect to the database is says that the instance is not started nor is the listener.
    When I check the alert logfile, there is no entry where the database is started when MS Cluster service is started.

Is there any additional configuration settings which I need to do on MS Cluster or Oracle FailSafe?

The only way to startup both the listener and database on the 2 nodes is to startup manually.

All the Oracle listeners and Database + disks + network IP are already assigned as resources in their individual cluster group.
    In FailSafe manager or MS Cluster admin, I can offline and online the resource group for both nodes. But still, in Windows services, they appear started while in actual fact I still need to start them up manually.

I'm not sure if this is the expected behaviour of MS Cluster & Oracle FailSafe.

Appreciate any advise.

Cheers
    Orac
    What's next after 10g?

Smile

Any advise? ?
    What's next after 10g?

service start does not mean Oracle DB startup.. if you want that way then you need to configure that way.. edit registry for automatic startup when service is started.

rgds
    abhay
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Hi abhay,

Thanks for your reply.

So, is this a expected behaviour of Oracle FailSafe in windows environment?

Can you point me to where abouts in windows registry to edit in order to enable automatic database startup when MS cluster service is started?

Thanks
    Oracbase
    What's next after 10g?

try urself with google/metalink?
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"