DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: help wante in partitioning large tables

Hi all,

I really need all your help out here, so thanks a lot in advance.
    I've just joined a company as a dba and today is my 2nd day here. We have a couple of databases, but I'm now asked to look into this particular database.
    this is a dss type of database and they store lots of server log information, queries resulting in about 50 million rows, and this takes a real lot of time. So what we are planning is to get rid of the previous set of data and when queried , it should only show info for the previoussay, maybe 3 months. ,I want all of u out there to help me with this.
    This is an oracle 8 version, so believe we can do partitioning. But how do I go about it ? This is what I havein mind. Please let me know if I've missed out something.
    1) I will have to take a copy of these tables and data and recreate them with the partitions.
    2) create the indexes likewise.
    3) load data.

Could you please throw in your suggestions and if there is another or better way to get around it, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks a lot
    pst

Sounds reasonable to me. Make sure your indexes are local indexes. It will make your partition maintenance much easier...
    Jeff Hunter

What do you mean by local indexes ?

Thanks

[url]http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/c09parti.htm#430374[/url]
    Jeff Hunter

Local Index is similar to partitioned table where as GLOBAL index need not follow the partitioned ranges. In GLOBAL, you can have different range keys or a single index.