DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Same tns entry not working from all the machines...!!!

Question Same tns entry not working from all the machines...!!!

Hi All,

I am facing a confusing problem.

I can connect to a database from my local machine using Toad. When I use the same tns entry in a Solaris server, it always give me the following error, on tnsping.
    "TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist"

My local machine is a WinXP machine. The db server is setup in a VMWare virtual machine. It is an Oracle 9i db instance.

What can be the possible reason for this?

Me and the IT wing of our company has been breaking our heads on this for 2 days. Googling give me only this forum as a good result. Please help...

usually happens when the hostname or IP cannot be resolved

use actual IP address on offending version of TNSNAMES entry
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Port should be open
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Thanks All,

Sorry for a late reply.

I gave my IT department the link for this page as reference, when there was only one reply from davey23uk. They did the same what is mentioned in the second reply by PAVB - specified the IP. And I got it working.

Thanks.