DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: development environment/version control - best practice

development environment/version control - best practice

All,
    I have some questions about development best practices.

The current environment I’m in requires developers to code straight on the database ie, open the package from the schema browser in TOAD make changes, compile. This is nasty. I’ve always been of the understanding that coding straight into the database instead of from a file is inherently wrong.

In a vain attempt to audit we have a trigger that writes the old code to a table when any package is compiled. With no proper version control system implemented we open ourselves up to potential problems if we want to roll back to a specific version, ie we have no concept of version, it’s just one big evolutionary juggernaut.

Use of Version Control software has become a standard, one which I've accepted in the past without questioning too hard. I’m interested in why this approach is more viable than other approaches. Has anyone had any success/experience with other approaches. I need to back up my argument with legitimate sources.

Any constructive discussion on this topic would be very welcome.
    J

Here are my two cents.

For critical environments we work on a four stages structure: Development, Test, Stage and, Production.

For non-critical environments we work on a three stages structure where there is no Stage environment.

DDL and Code moves from Development up to Production in a step-by-step basis, only DBA are entitled to apply/promote DDL and Code. Each step requires appropriate approvals.

All builds -ddl/code- are scripted and kept in the applicable box so you can have a history of changes and also can backout changes at any desired point in time.

Developers are free to code and compile ONLY in Development environment; they rely on SourceSafe for version control.

Hope this helps.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

PAVB, I appreciate you comments.

We are pushing for a 3 stage structure, Dev, Stage and Prod.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    Developers are free to code and compile ONLY in Development environment; they rely on SourceSafe for version control.
    Can you imagine being without your version control software? What advantages does it bring? Can you think of any viable alternatives?