DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 10gR2 RAC db (ASM/RMAN) replication

Question Oracle 10gR2 RAC db (ASM/RMAN) replication

We need to replicate (copy) production database

from Oracle 10gR2 RAC db (ASM/RMAN managed) on Windows 2003 with SAN
    to similar remote environment.

Please advice on steps/documentation/scripts to accomplish the above from live environment to non-live remote enviornment. We need to bring remote environment/db uptodate (apply archive logs) once a day.

Thanks

Hi

Look up the oracle documentation for DATAGAURD thats what you really need not replication

regards
    Hrishy

We are using standard edition, so do not have Data Guard option available.

The minimum I need is the RMAN commands/script to copy database (ASM managed) archive logs from one RAC enviornment to similar remote RAC environment on regular basis and then apply those.

You can write or copy some shell scripts and transfer archived redo from primary to standby destination as we used to do it until dataguard was introduced. U can also create another location for archived redo logs if ASM creates too much complexity
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

This is windos enviornment. The db is managed by ASM - our only option.

Windows script cannot work here as locations/files are managed by ASM. It has to be some kind of RMAN script.

What about second NOT ASM destination for an archived logs?
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Quote Originally Posted by BV1963
    What about second NOT ASM destination for an archived logs?
    I don't know if we can actually do that - database managed by ASM writing to ASM and non-asm aware (non asm disk group) location?

In our case the remote db is similar to production environment.

Hi

You need to use dbms_file_transfer to copy the archived log files from the source ASM/RAC instance to the target .

I havent done this personally but there is an example here

http://www.builderau.com.au/program/...9280831,00.htm

Try it and let us know.

In 11g there is ASMCMD cp command which makes this things a lot easier .

If the above thing doesnt work i am afraid i think you are kind of stuck

regards
    Hrishy

I do not see why it would not be allowed to have a second destination outside of ASM, same for example on OCFS file system. I do not have ASM setup to try, can you try it?
    Another scenario is to use rman and restore archived logs to non ASM file system locally and transfer them either via a shell scripts or some sort of file sync software.
    Remote site will have a copy of database in recovery mode, almost like a standby except it is not (standart edition limitation) and another shell scripts will be starting every n minutes and issuing a recovery command.
    Last edited by BV1963; 09-20-2007 at 03:34 PM.