DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Upgrade to 10g from 8i.

Upgrade to 10g from 8i.

I’m in process of migrating eight 8.1.7 (old server) databases to 10gR2 (new server). These are fairly small database, but has lots of dblinks and synonyms. What would best approach to do it? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

I suppose you can afford a small downtime.

1- Create new 10g database in new server.
    2- Do a full export on 8.1.7
    3- Do a full import on 10g
    4- Update TNSNAMES.ora file on 10g box to match what you have on 8.1.7 box
    5- Test dblinks

Relax and enjoy.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks PAVB! That what I was planing. But not sure ......Export/Import will also take care the link and synonyms or I have manually create it?

everything will move, even Public Synonyms and Public DBLinks if you do full exp/imp
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.