RR3-
    RR
    RR3+
    Could any one help?

Thanks

Code:
    select  posneg
    from    test11
    order   by substr(posneg,1,3),decode(substr(posneg,4,1),'-','1','+','3','2')
    ;
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks PAVB.

That worked like wat i want.

Thanks..,

hi PAVB -

Just a small change.

if i have RR10,RR10-,RR10+, i am getting the output as follows,

Code:
    SQL> SELECT   POSNEG
      2  FROM     TEST11
      3  ORDER BY SUBSTR(POSNEG,1,3),
      4           DECODE(SUBSTR(POSNEG,4,1),'-','1',
      5                                     '+','3',
      6                                     '2');

POSNEG                                                                          
    ----------                                                                      
    RR1-                                                                            
    RR1                                                                             
    RR10-                                                                           
    RR10                                                                            
    RR10+                                                                           
    RR1+                                                                            
    RR2-                                                                            
    RR2                                                                             
    RR2+                                                                            
    RR3-                                                                            
    RR3                                                                                                                                                  
    RR3+                                                                            

12 rows selected.
    But, i want RR10,RR10-,RR10+ to be displayed after RR3+.

Could you help?

Thanks

You already got your free service on this one and you blew it up because of wrong/incomplete specifications.

Now is your turn, you do something and hopefully somebody will review it.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

How's this for a wordy solution?

SELECT posneg
    FROM test11
    ORDER BY LPAD(SUBSTR(posneg,3,LENGTH(REPLACE(REPLACE(posneg, '-', NULL), '+', NULL))-2), 5),
    DECODE(SUBSTR(posneg,(LENGTH(REPLACE(REPLACE(posneg, '-', NULL), '+', NULL)))+1,1),'-','1',
    '+','3',
    '2');