DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Migrate Database from Unix to Linux?

Migrate Database from Unix to Linux?

I am planning to migrate Oracle 10g (10.1) database from Unix (Sun Sparc-Solaris) to Oracle (10.2) on Linux running on Intel based processors.
    I know two ways to do it.

1) Export and Import
    2) Creating a bare minimum database on Linux and then using the transportable tablespaces.
    Both of the above mentioned techniques may require a longer downtime or the two database would not be in sync. after migration.

I am trying to find a way to minimize the downtime. I would appreciate if I can analyze the different methods of doing it. Can someone point me to any technical documentation on this.

size?

About 50GB. I know it is not very big, but downtime is really a big deal.

As far as I can see you are talking about migration/upgrade; different platform and different Oracle version.

Where is your data sitting, SAN?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

The current database is on SAN. But the target server (Intel, Linux) has all internal disks.

This is probably a case where RMAN could save the day but I'm not an expert on it; probably another guy could help with it.

On the other hand, can you afford 6 to 8 hours downtime?

1- Create Ora10.2 database in target box
    2- Stop listeners on Ora10.1 source database
    3- Force a checkpoint on Ora10.1 source database
    4- Export/Gzip on-the-fly from Ora10.1 source database
    5- FTP
    6- Gunzip/Import on-the-fly into Ora10.2 target database
    7- Recompile invalid objects; you are done.

We moved a 65 GB database ten days ago in about 7 hours, end-to-end.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi

You might want to check this white paper
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/dep...grationTDB.pdf

Esentially you need to use rman convert command and transportable tablespaces to do that.

I would first migrate 10gr1 to 10gr2 on solaris and then do the migration from solaris 10gr2 to Linux 10gr2

There will be downtime and that you need to test in your case

You might also want to check this blog

http://blog.nominet.org.uk/tech/2006...aris-to-linux/

I have done a similar migration and the size of the database was 400Gb.

It took me nearly 48 Hours for the complete migration single instance to single instance both i think very using Veritas quick IO filesystem.
    But thats me.
    (I forgot to copy the datafiles in parallel initially from Sun to Linux Box)

Offcourse what i first did was copy the UAT environment over to the Linux box to test and prepare the checklist of everything .This was also the time when the System Testing team did a lot of tests to ensure everything worked fine since we had to change the Pro *C Compiler from Sun to GNU C.

Unfortunately i am out of the project now and on bench and hence dont much material on this to share.

regards
    Hrishy

once I migrated 700GB e-business suite database using datapump, export took 4 hours and import took around 8 hours for data and 20 hours for indexes, if you have worked with e-buiness suite you know that there are thousands of indexes and very complex data model plus hundreds of schemas, packeages, dependencies etc

so if your database is not as complex as mentioned then use datapump, your downtime will probably between 3 and 4 hours maximum
    Last edited by pando; 09-06-2007 at 03:41 AM.

Hi Pando

Interesting Do you remember the server model on the target and the source in terms of capacity like CP Memory etc

This is really helpful

regards
    Hrishy

Hi

it was a PA-RISC super dome partition, 6 CPUs and 20GB physical memory, database had 6g SGA

Storage was EMC DMX, not sure about the model number but that array wasnt very well configured, sometimes they got like 80ms response time and average 20, 30ms