DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ASMCMD error - not connecting

Exclamation ASMCMD error - not connecting

Environment: Windows 2003, Oracle 10gR2, 2 node RAC with ASM and multiple databases

I am trying to connect to asmcmd after few days and I am getting this error on both the nodes.

D:\>set ORACLE_HOME=D:\oracle\product\10g\db_1

D:\>set ORACLE_SID=+ASM1

D:\>asmcmd
    ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 2
    ORA-04031: unable to allocate 4108 bytes of shared memory ("shared pool","select
    x.inst_id,x.indx+1,ks...","Typecheck","seg:kggfaAllocSeg") (DBD ERROR: error po
    ssibly near <*> indicator at char 18 in 'select value from <*>v$parameter where
    name='instance_type'')
    Use of uninitialized value in string ne at D:\oracle\product\10g\db_1\bin\asmcmd
    core line 3905.
    Use of uninitialized value in string ne at D:\oracle\product\10g\db_1\bin\asmcmd
    core line 3905.
    asmcmd: command disallowed by current instance type
    D:\>

SRVCTL shows everything fine. I can connect to asm1 and asm2 instance through sqlplus. All databases on RAC are fine and connecting.

Please advice.
    Thanks

Error message is pretty clear. Your shared pool is too fragmented for asmcmd to allocate the contiguous memory it needs at loading time.

You can try to flush shared pool, this is like taking an aspirin.
    You can bounce your instances and then, keep an eye on shared pool utilization; you might have to increase its size.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I cannot query asm instances to find any current values or hung sessions. There is nothing in p-file of asm instance about shared_pool.

I tried flushing shared pool, buffer_cache – didn’t help.

Alter system set shared_pool_size=900000000

ORA-02097: parameter cannot be modified because specified value is invalid
    ORA-04033: Insufficient memory to grow pool

Do I have to bounce the whole server (issue is with asm instance and not a regular db instance, all databases will go down), do I have any other option,
    What is the real solution for now and future.

You might find this document interesting... http://occonline.occ.cccd.edu/online...dMemoryDoc.htm
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks PAVB for the link.

Is setting Automatic Memory Management (by setting parameter SGA_TARGET greater than zero) for ASM instance a good thing or not.

Do we have lot of overhead in using Automatic Memory Management, especially for instances that have a low amount of memory allocated. Does Oracle spend more time moving memory allocations back and forth between the pools than doing any real work.

We have about 20 databases running on RAC for that ASM instance.