DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping RMAN schema

Hybrid View

Dropping RMAN schema

Hi,

In order to test recovery using RMAN, i've created another user called RMANTEMP to do a recovery of my database (target database) on a separate host (catalog server). After a successful recovery, i intend to remove the RMANTEMP user.

Do i need to execute 'drop catalog' on my catalog server? Will this affect RMAN's catalog?

Do i also need to execute 'drop catalog' on my target database?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi

You dont need to execute the drop catalog on the target database.

If you have created a catalog on another catalog log database then you cna drop it while you are logged in as RMANTEMP

While logged in as RMANTEMP onto the catalog database from RMAN prompt you can say DROP CATALOG.

regards
    Hrishy

Thanks hrishy!!

Is it neccessary to drop the user RMANTEMP in both the target and catalog server then?

I was worried that there is any side effects since my target database is registered to 2 catalog servers.

Hi

I dont see any issues of dropping the RMANTEMP user from both the catalog and target database.

Did i forgot to tell you to take a export backup of RMANTEMP user in both catalog and target database just case before you drop :-)

regards
    Hrishy

Thanks alot Hrishy!

According to what i've picked up from the online documentation, i've come to believe that as compared to unregistering my target database, dropping RMANTEMP will perhaps save some space in my database. Both will actually have the same end results in that i can no longer do backup or recovery using RMANTEMP. Is this correct?

Regards,
    gxangel

Hi

Yes your understanding is correct once you drop the rmantemp user and its catalog you wont be able to backup the target database using that id.

However you have another user called RMAN and you can use that for your backup and recovery needs

regards
    Hrishy

Hi Hrishy,

I don't get the part of dropping user RMANTEMP at the target database.

The user RMANTEMP was created at the catalog server only. After which i log in using RMANTEMP at the target database to register the database.The subsequent recovery was done on the catalog server.

In this case, won't dropping the user RMANTEMP at the target database be erroneous?

Regards,
    gxangel

Hi

While doing a backup don't you connect simultaneously too catalog as well as target database ?

How do you do your backup ?

regards
    Hrishy

Hi Hrishy,

My backup was done on the target server. The backup files are then copied over to the catalog server using data pump

Hi

I am sorry rman and datapump dont think so are related i did not understand what you are trying to say

regards
    Hrishy