DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Replication approach?

What is the best Replication approach?

We are looking for the best replication approach that will suit the following scenarios.

1) Static Data: Our static data changes but not often and they are 80% xml data. We want to capture changes that occurs from one location and propagate it to another location.

2)Custom Data: This type of data is also 80% xml,changes weekly and needed to be replicated in another location.

3) Transaction Data: This is also 80% xml data that changes constantly but the sequence number generated for the same exact transaction is different from location A & B.

We are thinking about Oracle streams replication, Master to Master.(Third party tools NOT an option.

Give us your suggestions.
    Thanks
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.

Hi

For streams

What is the version of the source and target databases ?

If they are version 9i then watch out for the bugs
    When i was tetsing streams in 9i it was very slow and was bug ridden and not acceptable

regards
    Hrishy

Streams is where the Oracle replication is going.
    The old fashioned replication will be desuported somewhere in the future I believe

Quote Originally Posted by hrishy
    Hi

For streams

What is the version of the source and target databases ?

If they are version 9i then watch out for the bugs
    When i was tetsing streams in 9i it was very slow and was bug ridden and not acceptable

regards
    Hrishy
    On a project using Oracle 10.2 we also planed to replicate the changes from the OLPT DB to the DWH DB via stream. After a lot of testing/trying out we gave up because it was to slow and used to much ressource on the target system.

Hi Mike

How much data were you replicating per hour .
    I am very keen on you answer and also little details about your environment .
    So what substitute did you end up using for streams

regards
    Hrishy

Hi Hirshy,

I can't give you to much details, because I didn't directly participate at the replication tests. But as far as I remember the source DB generated,per day, between 20 and 160GB redologs (depending on the runing batch jobs). The source oltp was about 600GB large and has, from my point of view, a terrible DB/data modell design.

Initialy it was planed to update the the DWH on a daily base. But because streams is not used the DWH is only updated once a week (during the weekend) by doing a full copy of all requierd data.

It is planed to make some tests with ROWDEPENDENCIES enabled on the source system to find out which data have been updated/inserted since the last load. It's not yet clear how we will findout which data have been deleted.

Mike/Hrishy
    Our source and target version are Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.7.0- 64bit Production.
    And I would also like to know what substitue Mike had use for streams.
    Thanks
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.

Hi

The best in your case would be to lookup on metalink for all the 9i related bugs for streams and if any of those effects you.

regards
    Hrishy

Thanks Hrishy but you still did not tell us about your substitute to STREAMS.
    Arsene Lupain

Hi

The company where the project was going on abandoned the replication part and instead of streams they did something totally different .

They ended up using Golden Gate

http://www.goldengate.com/

Note the company had already brought golden gate for some other projects and this project wanted to use streams but because the lag wasnt acceptable they went ahead with the golden gate route .

The project was funded by some business and they were not happy with my work of trying to troubleshoot .

Besides golden gate has the capability like streams to do replication from sybase to oracle and oracle to mysql i think.

Note the company which i worked for had lot of $$

regards
    Hrishy