DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Questions about heartbeat tables and schema-level stream in 10g

Questions about heartbeat tables and schema-level stream in 10g

DBAs,

We are going to implement a schema level streams to replicate data in 10g environment.

I have two questions:

1. heart beat table ( based on Metalinnk Note:418755.1)
    I don’t fully understand the explanation about the purpose of heartbeat in this note. Basically, what is the purpose of heartbeat table?
    How to implement it? Any example from the real life?

2. I used to implement some streams in specific tables. But this time we will do schema-level streams. Any difference? I still have to do all table-level streams under this schema or there is some new function which allows me to specify the schema-level?

Thanks,

Lily

1. A heartbeat table simply provides an easy way to confirm changes are being replicated in a Streams environment.

2. You can configure the Capture process at the Table, Schema or Database level.

For further details, you may want to review Oracle® Streams Replication Administrator's Guide.

Thanks. In the oralce docus, they don't give any sample for how to
    implement a heartbeat table.

Another question--do the lob/clob objects need special handling?

Thanks,

Lily

Another question about heartbeat table:

We will do schema level replication. I should put the heartbeat table under this schema or I should implement a separate table-level stream proces for this heartbeat table?

Thanks,

Lily

One of the benefits of heartbeat table is to help monitor the replication process. I'll put it under the same schema you are going to replicate.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for the reply.

Also, I found from the 10.2 docus that 10.2 streams capture will
    support clob.

Thanks,

Lily