DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: More Archive generating

More Archive generating

Hai

My database size is 55Gb.But it can be generating more archive .One hour 4 Gb archive generating.How to reduce the archive generation.My database is Oracle 10g Standed Edition.

tune your applivcation to produce less redo

This is a tough one to explain in a single post. In a nutshell, it means you should streamline your application's database requests and you should limit the amount of unnecessary work your database does. These are not INIT.ORA type settings, they involve transactional modelling. This is one reason why I always talk to people about making stored procedure calls instead of embedding SQL in the application.

If it takes less time to do 1 thing rather than doing 2 things, try to get away with just doing 1. Doing 1 thing twice counts as doing 2 things.

This idea of doing only the necessary steps can, in some cases, be used with SQL options like NOLOGGING, but this is not a panacea. If you have a multiuser, production database-- redo is a good thing. When we get into design and development, I will try to remember to include redo implications. Feel free to ask if I don't.

Hi

Has this redo generation increased suddenly ?

If so you might want to use logminer to see if there is something suspicious
    a large transaction or a huge batch job

regards
    Hrishy

... or your tablespaces are in backup mode.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE