DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Archivelog backup using RMAN

Archivelog backup using RMAN

Hello,

I have a 2 node RAC database (Oracle Version 10.2.0.2) that is using the Oracle Clusterware. The database files, archivelogs are stored in an ASM instance. I am backing up the database and archive logs to tape using RMAN. I run my Rman commands on one of the nodes and backup the database & archivelogs. Is the backup getting the archivelogs from the other node too? Or do I need to run RMAN on both the nodes? ALso, if I am backing up my database that is in archive log mode do I need to first put the tablespaces in backup mode and then back it up?
    I appreciate your input.

Chintz

If you are using RMAN then you don't need to worry about tablespaces being in backup mode. RMAN has special knowledge of how oracle files works and waits until a block is consistent before backing it up. If you are using a backup mechanism other than RMAN, then yes you need the tablespaces to be in backup mode before backing them up, even though you are in ARCHIVELOG mode.

Each instance of a RAC has its own redo stream, so you need to separately back up the others archive logs.

Thanks for the quick response.

Another question, in the past when we had the archivelogs on the filesystem we had a cron job set up that would page us if the filesystem filled up to a certain percentage. How do we do that to monitor the space utilization in ASM? I would like to put some process in place where I get paged if the space fills up in the ASM.

Chintz

you backup archivelogs from a node because ASM is a shared storage, i.e visible from both nodes you dont have to backup twice

now, if you wanna load balance your backup strategy you can run rman in this manner

Code:
    # Enable Load Balancing:

CONFIGURE CHANNEL 1 DEVICE TYPE DISK CONNECT 'SYS/****@SIGEPI1';
    CONFIGURE CHANNEL 2 DEVICE TYPE DISK CONNECT 'SYS/****@SIGEPI1';
    CONFIGURE CHANNEL 3 DEVICE TYPE DISK CONNECT 'SYS/****@SIGEPI2';
    CONFIGURE CHANNEL 4 DEVICE TYPE DISK CONNECT 'SYS/****@SIGEPI2';
    CONFIGURE CHANNEL 5 DEVICE TYPE DISK CONNECT 'SYS/****@SIGEPI3';
    CONFIGURE CHANNEL 6 DEVICE TYPE DISK CONNECT 'SYS/****@SIGEPI3';
    CONFIGURE CHANNEL 7 DEVICE TYPE DISK CONNECT 'SYS/****@SIGEPI4';
    CONFIGURE CHANNEL 8 DEVICE TYPE DISK CONNECT 'SYS/****@SIGEPI4';
    two channels per node in a four nodes RAC
    Last edited by pando; 08-23-2007 at 05:36 PM.